Eligibility & Enrollment
Questions about changes in health care? We can help.
Open enrollment for private insurance on the Washington Healthplanfinder is available between November and January annually. You can enroll in Washington Apple Health year-round. Depending on how much you earn, you may qualify for free coverage, or for tax credits or financial help to pay for copays and premiums. Free or low-cost coverage is available.
We can help you learn more or enroll. Make an appointment today! Call 206-548-3013 to schedule a free appointment with one of our eligibility specialists at a Neighborcare Health clinic near you.
Neighborcare Health trained eligibility specialists are helping with enrollment at multiple housing communities, food banks and other agencies.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is newly eligible for Medicaid?
- Any U.S. citizen or eligible resident who earns less than 138 percent of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL), representing an annual income of about $16,000 for one person, will be eligible for Washington Apple Health/Medicaid.
- Low-income individuals/families (2–50 employees) above Medicaid limits (139–400 percent FPL) may be eligible for subsidies and/or tax credits to pay for their health insurance plan through the Health Benefit Exchange.
What has changed?
- All insurance plans on Washington Healthplanfinder cover 10 essential health benefits such as doctor visits, hospitalizations, pregnancy care, emergency room care, prescriptions and others.
- Insurance plans cannot deny health coverage if someone is sick or has a pre-existing condition.
- If you are already insured, your children can continue to be on your policy until they’re 26.
All US citizens are required by law to have health insurance or face penalties
When does coverage start?
- Apple Health or Medicaid-eligible patients can sign up any time during the year. Coverage will run for 12 months, beginning the month after enrollment.
- Enrollment in the Health Benefit Exchange runs from November to January for coverage that begins in the new year.
What do I need to do?
- Schedule a free appointment with a Neighborcare Health Eligibility Specialist. Call 206-548-3013 to ask for an appointment in your neighborhood.
- We can provide you with more information about whether you are eligible for Medicaid or a subsidy to help with the cost of purchasing a private insurance plan.;
- Please bring your most recent tax return and a list of your household family members and their social security numbers to your appointment.
King County Public Health “Coverage is Here”
|Insurance Enrollment Information -English||355.47 KB|
|Insurance Enrollment Information -Somali||325.54 KB|
|Insurance Enrollment Information -Spanish||314.57 KB|
|Insurance Enrollment Information -Vietnamese||342.85 KB|